Client Rights & Responsibilities
At the Ottawa Children's Treatment Centre (OCTC), we respect all our clients and take their rights very seriously. We aim to provide the best and most appropriate service possible, treating all clients and their families with dignity and respect.
As an OCTC client or family member, you can expect to:
- Receive service in an OCTC environment that is fully accessible, welcoming and safe;
- Receive service in the official language of your choice (English or French);
- Be treated fairly, courteously and with respect for your language, culture, values and beliefs;
- Receive complete information about your care, in a way that you can understand;
- Participate in decisions about your care;
- Have your appointments start and end on time;
- Have your personal information kept confidential; and
- Review your health record if you want to, and know how the information in your health record is used.
As an OCTC client or family member, we ask you to:
- Treat OCTC staff and other clients with courtesy and respect;
- Respect OCTC property;
- Be on time for appointments and call if you know that you will be late;
- Call in advance when you have to cancel an appointment;
- Cancel your appointment if you are not feeling well;
- Clean your hands when you arrive at OCTC;
- Supervise your children while visiting OCTC;
- Create a suitable and safe work space for OCTC staff when they visit your home;
- Provide us with the information we need to ensure your health and safety; and
- Let us know if you have questions or concerns about the service you are receiving.
We welcome your feedback! If you have any comments or concerns about our service we encourage you to:
- Talk to a staff member;
- Contact the manager of the service (our receptionists can tell you how);
- Email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop off your comments in writing at the front reception of any OCTC site, addressed to Patient/Family Representative; or
- Mail your comments to: Patient/Family Representative, CHEO/OCTC, 401 Smyth Rd., Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L1.
Along with OCTC's core values, these Client Rights & Responsibilities are a fundamental part of our approach to serving residents of our community.